Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, April 13, 2009

A Budding Season


It seems like spring is taking its time to "pop" this year, but perhaps I'm just impatient. I thought I'd show you some tree buds. Despite how tight they still are, I can see signs of spring. And along the way, notice how different the various buds look! First, look at one of our very old apple trees. See the reddish cast to the branches. That's a sign of spring, when the blush begins to show. The inset bud doesn't show much action though.

apple tree and buds

beech budsHere are the buds of the beech tree. Yes, that skinny dark branch with the very thin pointy buds. No evidence of swelling there yet!

boxelder budsThis is the rather unimpressive boxelder, actually a member of the maple family. I think the interesting thing about this is how the twigs begin to turn greenish before the buds swell.

red elder budsFinally, here's a bud you've seen before in one of the Winter Rainbows. This is the red elder, not related to boxelder at all. It is related to the elderberry, from which one can make wine, jelly or pies. However, this one has red berries early in the summer, and they are not edible. You'd at least get a very bad tummy ache if you ate them.

red elder buds swellingred elder buds opening

The left picture was taken on April 8, and the right one earlier today. These are the most ambitious buds I've found anywhere in the neighborhood. And look closely inside the opening swirl of leaves. Can you tell what is hidden there?

Hike Planning Report
Finished the first draft of the trail guide!

Life got in the way while I was busy making plans. And Maggie stole and ate an entire package of dried hamburger, one pound worth! Needless to say, she was not given much dinner or a pat on the head.


See Winter Rainbow I
See The Dog Wood Be Foolin' Me

6 comments:

rainfield61 said...

I work on beech everyday. I do not see any buds. Why?
They are woods. Not a tree. Hahaha...

thom said...

Never found beech in Indonesia :D
By the way, where are u live?

liza said...

Oh, I would love to have an apple tree! But just like the Santan flowers that can't grow in your place, apple trees won't grow here. Back here it's summer and the heat is terrible.

If the signs of spring are already there, I'm sure it won't take long. :)

betchai said...

love the buds, can't wait to see more of the apple flowers soon.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I like this post a lot. I was thinking about doing one about this subject, but yours does justice to it that mine wouldn't have been able to do. Your buds look the same as the ones I've been seeing. I've been waiting for them to burst open, but nothing yet. That last one though looks like some sort of berry in there. I think maybe I'm completely off about that one.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi rainfield- haha- your little joke! What do you do with the wood?

Thom- Thanks for stopping by. I'm in the northern half of the lower peninsula of Michigan, USA.

Liza- I loved your yellow flower. It's just the color of a vest I'm knitting, but yes, we each have some things that will grow in our home climates.

Hi betchai- These trees are REALLY old. Some years they have wonderful blossoms and some years not much at all. And I think I'll be hiking when they bloom this year.

Ratty- I'm really surprised that your buds are still tight too. That means it will be several weeks before ours really open. Sigh. You are the only one to take a guess on that hidden secret. I'll keep it hidden a little longer, and reveal the answer with another picture.