Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, April 17, 2009

Words of the Week


It's been a long time since I've done an entry about words, and I miss them! I've been considering a weekly feature, but not sure I could deal with the schedule of that. I've thought about sharing the words that I've stumbled over each week that are new to me. Actually I like that idea a lot. And this time I'm going to try something that may be more fun for you, my readers! Be sure to tell me if you enjoy it.

So I'm going to give you several sentences with the new word in them. Your assignment is to pick the one (or more) that uses it correctly. I'll post the answers tomorrow.

1. RONDALLA (rhon-DAL-ya)
   a. The ceremony was held in the rondalla of the capitol building.
   b. The Philippine rondalla featured a guitar, bass and mandolins.
   c. Streptococcus rondalla threatened to close the entire elementary school.
   d. A geometric rondalla is a specially defined type of ellipse.

2. XIPHIOD (ZYE-foid)
   a. Xiphoid is the next to the last letter of the Greek alphabet.
   b. She played beautiful mountain folk music on her xiphoid.
   c. Xiphoid ecosystems are dry and arid.
   d. The horseshoe crab's tail is xiphoid in appearance.

3. NETBALL (NET-ball)
   a. Netball is a game similar to basketball, popular with girls in Great Britain.
   b. Netball is what one calls out when a tennis serve hits the top of the net, but falls into the opponent's court.
   c. Netball is a nickname for volleyball.
   d. Floats used on large fishing nets are called netballs.

4. QUORN (KORN) There are two correct answers to this one. I knew one of them, but ran into the other just today.
   a. A quorn is a large conical, but curved, horn.
   b. The Quorn is a famous and historical foxhunt in Great Britain.
   c. A quorn is a millstone used for grinding grain.
   d. Quorn is a brand of vegetarian meat substitutes made from edible fungus, for example: Quorn chicken.

Hike Planning Report
Wrote a long email to the hike crew

Had a long phone call with Marie about the hike

Walked 1.5 miles with 40 pounds


We had some things to do today with friends, and then I had some assignments for actual money, so I didn't get anything more done on hike food. Tomorrow I'll be manning a booth about the North Country Trail at an Earth Day fair, so I'll probably get even less done. But I think that is my last outside commitment before the hike!

For some other new words, see Rainy
See The Dentist and the Riddler
See Ug-ly Words

8 comments:

Jojoeland Admin said...

I thought NETball is playing online basketball. Thanks for the definition.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Hi Jojo! Well, I'll post the answers tomorrow. Hey, it's possible there is another use of the term that I am not aware of, but it is at least one of the four in my list. Thanks for stopping by.

The Muse said...

Hey Shark!

Great words! I knew Rondalla since I was in music most of my school career. The xiphiod has to be a shape of some sort so it's d. Netball I would have thought was a tennis term, but my husband said no so it's got to be a. You gave Quorn away so it must be c and d.

Love the post!

Rick (Ratty) said...

I can tell you that I have no clue to any of these, even after looking through a dictionary. I'll still make some wild guesses based on what seems logical to me.

1. B
2. D
3. D
4. A + B

I picked some of these by eliminating what didn't make sense. Others because they matched similar answers to similar words. I'm looking forward to seeing what these really are.

It was a fun game, once I got over the thought of, "Oh no, I don't know any of these!" :)

WiseAcre said...

XIPHIOD - A specially shaped tool used to harvest QUORN from ears.

Sharkbytes said...

HI Everyone. Thanks for playing. WiseAcre wins style points, no matter who got the most words right because he literally made me LOL.

I'm doing a post with the answers right now.

betchai said...

oh, am I late? sorry :)

yes, i must agree, i crack up with Wiseacre response :) He made me LOL as well :) haha!

Anyway, my try, as I still do not see official answers:

1. B - If I got this wrong, I hope my country will grant me pardon :)
2. d
3. A
4. d

betchai said...

oh, i forgot to add, my new bog home is not at blogger

http://www.thejoysofsimplelife.com/