Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Scavenger Hunt Winners!


Wow! I received five entries to the scavenger hunt. I was hoping for more, but maybe it was too hard, or long, or not really fun.... Feel free to give me some feedback about this.

The clear winner is... Auntie E! Her blog is "At Home with Auntie E," and she is the winner of a year long advertisement on this blog. She missed only one answer, AND she submitted a wonderful story to be used as a tiebreaker if necessary. Hers was the only story, and it's really cute. I'll feature it here tomorrow. Here's a teaser; the title is The Adventure of the Rogue Elephant.

Second place goes to a reluctant entrant, because he didn't think he did very well. It's our old friend Ratty of "The Everyday Adventurer," who missed only two answers and followed my "rules" to give the sentence where the answer appeared. He wins a free month of advertising on Adgitize. This was supplied by Ken Brown, the founder of Adgetize.

Third place was captured by another friend, Julia of Our Simple Life. She also only missed two, but only gave the answers. I suspect she's too busy chasing kids and chickens to copy long sentences. Julia wins the fleece throw... not sure she needs it in California, but it should hold up well to the kids! If her new chickens are featherless like the old ones maybe they will like it.

Fourth place goes to Ivy of Spinning Lovely Days, who missed 3. I almost missed her entry- it got caught in my spam filter! Sorry, Ivy! Her blog's tagline is "We persistently weave dreams into real life, consciously campaigning for enchantment as we stroll through moments, savoring the sweetness of living, gratefully rejoicing in blessed freedom, and blissfully not caring that this is a run-on sentence." Sounds good to me! Ivy will get 12 credits on CMF ads for her blog.

The other entry came from Sam Haraldson, a friend of mine from the hiking universe. His blog is Ultralight Backpacking. He missed 3.5, partly because he left on a hike before the last clue was published! Sam will receive a copy of my book North Country Cache. Sam, if you already have a copy, let me know and I'll give you the month of ads instead.

Here are the answers... no one got them all right, but the best entry missed only one. I'll just list the clue and the answer.
1. The coach, the wolf, and the hiker all found this handy - Whistle
2. accessory for the small house of the crescent moon - Toilet Paper
3. sniffy hose - Dirty Socks
4. old hose nose - elephant
5. palindromic watercraft - kayak
6. the perfectly packaged breakfast or the beginning of dinner a few months from now - egg
7. Smith Brothers or Halls? either one will do - cough drop
8. foliage of the genus Acer not necessarily from Toronto - maple leaf
9. this rose relative will keep the doctor away, they say - apple
10. Blue Pipes - lilac blossoms
11. the lowest guy on the 64 square totem pole - chess pawn
12. high quality game stock - blue poker chip
13. illuminating globe - light bulb
14. extend your pinky finger while lifting this - teacup
15. what Alice went through, in other words - mirror
16. do teachers still write "awk" or "sp" in the margins with this - red pencil or red marker
17. Jolly Roger could use some brains in his - skull
18. this will never rain or rein, but if might measure up to reign - ruler
19. toasty oats, nuts, fruit, American style - granola

Thanks for your patience till I processed the entries. I had a chance to earn almost $100 and really had to take advantage of that! I'll get the "paperwork" done for all your prizes tomorrow! A big THANK YOU to all who entered.

See Sharkbytes Scavenger Hunt- Start Here

11 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

I personally loved this contest. I think maybe next time you could ask those of us whose blogs get extra traffic through the contest to help promote the game. I'm very willing to do so. I think people just need a little bit of motivation. A lot of us here in the blogosphere just maybe need a confidence boost, and a little nudge. For me personally, I've been suffering recently from a case of extreme distraction and disorganization that has effected every aspect of my online existence. So it was a bit of bad timing on my part, and I didn't realize even what I had until the last moment. The game is a wonderful idea and I'm looking forward to another.

spinninglovelydays said...

Thanks, Sharkbytes! That was really a lot of fun. I was going through the correct answers and just had to laugh at some of my incorrect guesses. Of course Alice went through a looking glass! I don't know what made me pick mutation, lol!

Julia said...

Yeah! Thank you! Winter will be here soon and we can always use another blanket for couch coziness. :)

The game was great. I enjoyed hunting down the clues and think you should do it again. I will play! And try to more closely follow the rules.

On a final note, the competitor in me says that one of those blogs you used was not fair since you had to sign up to read it. I just don't need to sign on for one more bloggy association.

Secondary Roads said...

Congrats to the winners. The biggest winner is you Sharkbytes.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Ratty- Sometimes it is a little scary how much we like the same things, but I am glad you really liked it.

Ivy- So glad to meet a new blogger friend!

Julia- Well, I think I got the link wrong for #15... there shouldn't have been a sign up needed. Someone in the comments figured it out, and I didn't read about the mixup until the date was past. That was just a mistake on my part.

Chuck- Well, I had fun doing it, but it was a lot of work and some expense. I'm not so sure that I feel like a winner. I need to get back into the routine of daily posts. I'm finding it a challenge!

Mother Goose said...

I just wanted to let you know that I also played your game. I didn't enter the competition because I don't have a blog. It was a great game. I love treasure hunts. Anyway, I only missed 2 and I didn't write a story but I was tempted. Thanks for the fun.

Lin said...

I'm very impressed with those who stuck this out and won!! Wow!! Good job, pallies!

Auntie E said...

Wow, I'm surprised I came in first Place. I really enjoyed playing. Liked all the blog stories. Funny I told my daughter the clue for the one I missed and she told me the metaphor for the clue. I had a hard time with that one. I should of ask my 15 year old,lol. Thanks for the game. Congrats to all those who played along.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Aw Mother Goose- You might have won the blanket or the book- but I'm glad you had some fun with it!

Lin- you just were bummed because there was no frog to be put in the bag.

Auntie E- you sure deserve your win! I'm getting ready to post your story now.

samh said...

Thanks for a fun contest, Joan.

Sharkbytes said...

Hey Sam- Hope your hike was awesome! Glad you had fun, and won something too. Will send the book your way.