Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Northen Crescent- Now I'm Sure!

photo label

Last year, in September, I showed you a picture of one of these same butterflies. But at that time I incorrectly identified it. I'm not going to tell you the incorrect ID yet, because it will make you remember the wrong name. I'm now positive that it's a Northern Crescent, Phyciodes cocyta.

photo label

They are found in Michigan, as verified at the Butterfly Site (Although they don't list any blues there, and we know there are several. Hmmm.)

Now that I know what the markings are, I don't think I'll forget this one. Butterfly patterns always seem so random, but they really aren't. This one is actually a male. The females are different, but I haven't gotten a picture of one yet.

In this last picture, you can see its cute little curled proboscis (a snout that it can uncurl and drink nectar through like a straw).

photo label

If you want to take a peek at the one from last year, you will see how exactly alike the markings are with what has to be a different individual. It's linked by my signature.

If you really want to know the very similar one (if you are learning enough to want to separate the look-alikes), shhhh.... it's the silvery checkerspot. I haven't taken a picture of one of those yet.

See Corrected to Northern Crescent

4 comments:

Ann said...

It's quite pretty. I'm horrible at identifying things so I just call them all butterflies :)

betchai said...

i love the pattern, it's so unique and beautiful.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- that works just fine!

betchai- There are lots of these little orange butterflies. I know about 2 of them, but I think I've got this one now.

RNSANE said...

That is such an elegant butterfly with beautiful markings. I don't think I've ever seen one lovelier...though I do like the Monarch quite a bit. Nature is truly wonderful.