Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Explosion? Fire? Foggy Valley?


I was driving along a state highway today, and saw the space between the hills in the distance billowing with white.

photo label

What was going on? First, I thought my eyes were tricking me, but there was definitely something going on up ahead.

photo label

Have you figured it out yet? OK, just a little closer should help.

snow making

Yup, Crystal Mountain has begun making snow for the ski season. They can't turn on the machines until the weather stays below freezing. I can tell you that it was definitely cold enough today.

Crystal Mountain sign

Here's one they must have turned on very recently. You can see that there is even green grass in the lower right, but the snow is starting to build up in front of the blower.

snow blowing machine

You get one more just because I like the way this one looks- a little art mixed with the game.

snow blowing machine

The joke is on me. I even know the ski area is on that road, but it took me longer than you might think to figure out what I was seeing. I do think it's weird to have a snowy hill in the middle of the not-yet-snow-covered landscape.





See Trail Work Day
if you like this blog, click the +1  

8 comments:

Daddy Yashiro said...

Hi Sharkbytes,

What are those? What do you call them?

sir rob said...

I'm already freezing in 15-17 degrees C, how much more if there's snow...I might already be a cold stone by then. lol

Secondary Roads said...

At first glance, I thought you were on a road trip to Colorado.

Unknown said...

Fascinating. I've never seen anything like that.

Ann said...

the thought of making snow makes me shiver...lol

spinninglovelydays said...

How exciting! For me anyway! I'll say it again, I envy you your seasons... also your writing chops! Thanks again for the free copy of News from Dead Mule Swamp. I know it's just 50 pages but it took me two days to read (only got to read during nursing breaks from work, lol). I really enjoyed reading it. I'll blog about it soon. Can't wait for the next Anastasia Raven book!

Loretta said...

I guessed correctly! well, first I said fire, but then figured out it was the snow makers. Would be fun to see that...we had snow for about 30 minutes today and now it is soooo cold...getting me ready for Christmas in Michigan!

Sharkbytes said...

Yashiro- They are just called snow making machines

borris- you would need to thicken up your blood

Chuck- just a baby version

Jean- well, it doesn't look so weird when there is already snow on the ground!

Ann- we love the north!

Ivy- Thanks so much!

Loretta- It just seems too odd without snow on the ground. Hope we will have some soon, but they are saying 40 degrees on Friday.