Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, July 9, 2012

Little Wood Satyr

 
I spent most of the evening fooling around on Facebook looking at photos from an old bike trip that a friend posted, and trying to ID the riders. So, the blog gets short shrift. Just a dead butterfly.

This is the Little Wood Satyr. It's the most common dark butterfly of late spring and mid-summer. It can be seen everywhere east of the Mississippi in the US.

There are a number of other Satyrs, but they have different spots and some have extremely limited ranges. All others are lighter colored.

little wood satyr butterfly

Sorry it's dead, but it's a very nervous flier, and I probably wouldn't have a picture if I hadn't found it this way.

if you like this blog, click the +1  

3 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

I don't think I've ever seen one of these before. There are a lot of red admirals where I live.

Ann said...

cool butterfly. The blog may have been shorted but it still made for a good post

RNSANE said...

Requiem for a butterfly...living or dead, it's a great photo.