Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, August 13, 2012

Lesser Pyrola

 
I'm prepared to declare the small plant seen in New York as Lesser Pyrola, Pyrola minor. It's much smaller than the other two, and the remaining choice, green-flowered pyrola, should have longer leaf stems, and should grow more in the mountains.

I showed most of the pictures of this plant a couple of days ago. So, today I'll rerun the leaves of the three plants for comparison.

Pyrola minor- leaf back, lesser pyrola

lesser pyrola leaves

Pyrola elliptica- shinleaf

shinleaf leaves

Pyrola rotundifolia- round-leaved pyrola

round-leaved pyrola leaves

Assignments tomorrow. I may find something interesting. If not, I have one more similar plant to share.

See Pyrola- Which One?
if you like this blog, click the +1  

4 comments:

rainfield61 said...

Everything can be interesting if we look at them differently.

wiseacre said...

I'll have to an eye out for some. It's not too late according to my field guides. Most Pyrolas are supposed to flower into August :)

Secondary Roads said...

Please. Be kind to yourself. These lessons on plants are interesting.

Sharkbytes said...

rainfield- you always see them differently! I also like to put things in categories

wiseacre- they were all early this year

Chuck- Ah... I only meant interesting and current.