Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, November 1, 2013

Maybe I Finally Have the Hang of It?

 

loaves of bread

I haven't bought any bread since August when I came home with Sylvia's recipe. I've made hers twice, a recipe called Colonial Bread twice (that I'm slowly altering to add more grains), and today I made this one- Pumpkin Bread.

Here's the thing. My success with yeast bread over the years has been spotty, to say the least. More than half the time the loaves rise nicely but then fall while baking. But the internet is a wonderful thing. I found suggested answers! It seems that in my concern about adding too much flour and making them heavy, I haven't been using enough. And I've gone to longer kneading too.

I made this pumpkin yeast bread a couple of times last year, and it came out pretty good, but this is definitely the best yet.

Oh, ok... the pumpkin is squash today. Shhhh, don't tell Loretta. With the spices, you can't tell any difference in taste, anyway.

cooked squash

Gosh, no, all this squash didn't go in the bread. I also made soup, and put some in the freezer.

I also tried adding some crunchies to the bread. I had a few pepitas (the green pumpkin seeds), so I chopped them up and threw them in. I think I'd like even more, but this was all I had on hand.

cooked squash

Here's how the bread looked in progress, and you can see that I'm using my Hoosier Cabinet. (Just loving it as much as ever!)

bread dough

"Why are you making so much bread?" you ask The yummy breads that have some body and texture to them are really expensive. Also, the slices are thick. This way I can cut thin slices, and although I haven't figured it out for sure, my guess is that I'm getting 4 or 5 loaves of bread for $2.50- $3.00, instead of one. Works for me!

See Hoosier Cabinet- Day 3
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

6 comments:

Loritenor said...

What?? I have a loaf of Squash bread??? Hmmm, I still think it is going to be yummy for breakfast tomorrow-warmed and coated with honey. Oh, and your kitchen looks fabulous with all the new color!

Sharkbytes said...

Loretta- hope your SQUASH bread lived up to expectations. I really like that recipe.

Loritenor said...

Delicious!! warm and with honey....ummmm good.... I was good and only ate two slices..

Ann said...

That bread looks really good. Reminds me of the Pepperidge Farms bread they bring in the store where I work. We have a guy who delivers the outdated bread from other stores and we get it at a much cheaper price. I bought one the other day that was caramel apple. Very good but like you said thick slices. It was more like texas toast

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

BEAUtiful!

RNSANE said...

It sounds wonderful. I have definitely missed all my cooking and baking since I downsized, put everything in storage and headed to India. i had over 400 cookbooks, from all over the world, most of which went to Goodwill. I kept only a treasured few and a notebook of favorite recipes. I hope to make a cookbook of them for all my boys, if I can just get around to it.