Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Curious by the Manistee

 
I've been curious every time I've driven over the bridge where the Manistee River flows into Manistee Lake. There is what appears to be an old railroad grade, leading off into the marshy area at the head of the lake.

Wildlife management area

Yesterday I stopped long enough to be able to read the sign.

Wildlife management area

It certainly looks like foot travel is not restricted, so one of these days I may just have to see how far in toward the lake that goes. The berm continues north along the river, on the other side of the road too. My RR atlas says that was the former Manistee and North Eastern line that ran as far as Northport in the Leelanau Peninsula. Fifteen miles at the far north end are now a non-motorized trail. Of course, I wonder how far one could follow it, starting here at its southern end.

Looking south, toward the lake, the river begins to break into braided passages. You can see part of the older section of Manistee, with a church steeple, across the way.

Manistee Lake

See Everything is Better with Sunshine for another angle of Manistee Lake
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


6 comments:

Ann said...

it will be interesting to see what you find when you check it out

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

This looks like such a beautiful area and one most definitely worthy of exploration! I look forward to hearing more (and seeing more) when the curious adventure continues for you. And I'm sure it will. :)

vanilla said...

I see a hike coming. Someone is going to have to find out how far she can go, starting here at the southern end.

Lin said...

Go, Sharkey, GO!! ;)

Unknown said...

Just like Vanilla, I see another trek on the way. I know you'll keep us posted.

RNSANE said...

It all looks so barren and cold right now.