Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, June 5, 2014

We Hiked!

 
Today, we are back at Marie's house, where I will get to spend just three more days with her. I'd rather it be about three more weeks, or months, or years. I hope each one of you has at least one friend who is as close as the two of us are.

We were playing our favorite word game, and Marie was dealt this hand! I am not making this up.

Quiddler hand

Two big completions in the past couple of weeks. First, I finished the Finger Lakes Trail, making me officially End-to-Ender #370. All I have to do is send in my record form and I'll receive that patch.

Then we drove over to Vermont and hiked the 65 additional miles that are being added to the North Country Trail so that it will connect with the Appalachian Trail. Luke (Strider) Jordan hiked this piece last year, but Marie and I are numbers 2 & 3 to do so.

I can't get organized quite enough yet to start taking you through the days of the hikes, but here are some more feel-good teasers. When we were last at Crown Point, in 1996, the old bridge, built in 1929, was the link to Vermont.

Crown Point Bridge

Now, there is a new bridge, opened just last year, and you can see it here in the same perspective. This is where we began the Vermont piece. Technically, I guess we were still in New York until we were halfway across the bridge! It has pedestrian walkways, and is a beautiful crossing of Lake Champlain. Lots of history there. More on that another day.

Crown Point Bridge

Any day is a good day that we are hiking together. Total miles this trip- about 112. I have to add up the corrected mileages, but this isn't off by much.

hikers

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

7 comments:

Lin said...

I love that you two so many cool things together. It's not often that you find a friend like you have! Have fun, you two crazy gals!

The Furry Gnome said...

Good to hear from you; glad it went well!

Ann said...

friends like that are a rare gem. Very cool that she was dealt that hand in your card game.

Secondary Roads said...

There is no friend like an old friend. (I refer more to the endurance record than age.)

Interesting to compare similarities and contrasts between the old and new bridges.

Unknown said...

Congrats on completing those hikes. Great that you enjoyed it all with your lovely friend.

vanilla said...

Walk, walk, walk. Destination achieved! Ta da!

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay wow the cards ar verry wise!!! maybe yore frend shud try her hand at tarot card reeding nekst!!! ok bye