Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, July 17, 2014

A Little Blue Perk

 
When I was taking pictures of the Aphrodite Fritillary the other day, I realized that something else flew in and out of the pictures (see the second one?),

two butterflies

but I was concentrating on the big orange butterfly, and didn't see what it was till I got home and looked at the photos on the computer. It's a very common butterfly, but I've never gotten a good picture before, so I'm happy.

It's an Eastern Tailed Blue, Everes comyntas, or Cupido comyntas. I've showed you some terrible pictures of one before when I was trying to figure it out. In this one, you can clearly see the tails, and the large orange spots near the tails.

eastern tailed blue butterfly

A few years ago, you might remember that I volunteered to help with the counting of the endangered Karner Blue butterflies, and since then I've been paying more attention to little blue butterflies!

See Counting Karner Blues
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


4 comments:

vanilla said...

Hah! A two-for-one.

Marilyn said...

Nice capture of this little guy. I am sad to say I have never really noticed this butterfly, though I might have seen one.

Secondary Roads said...

Nice catch! So much beauty out there for us to enjoy if we only, as you say, get off the couch.

Ann Thompson said...

I've never seen one of those. how pretty