Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Potato Rum, say what?

 
I bought a few new succulent plants this spring. Not all of them liked living here. Who knows why.

However, this one has remained happy, and today I split and repotted it.

Agave potatorum

Then I went looking for its name. At least the internet makes things like this somewhat possible. You might remember from the Philadelphia Flower Show that there are some aloes that have spikes like this. (see link at end). But I couldn't find one that looks like this.

So I started searching for succulent brown spikes. Sure enough, I found that this is an Agave. Agave potatorum, to be precise. Not potato-rum, but poh-ta-TOR-um; however, I bet I won't forget the name!

Agave potatorum

I love the interesting patterns on the leaves, and that was part of what helped me to identify it with some certainty.


See PFS- Succulents- Aloe
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


8 comments:

Ann said...

it does have very unique leaves and who could forget a name like that

Lin said...

Oh, wow! That is really beautiful. It's funny how you can master some plants, but not others. I'm good with violets, but not so much with other stuff. I finally quit trying and bought fake plants. :P

Secondary Roads said...

I'm afraid I'll only remember potato rum.

rainfield61 said...

What a happy plant that is complicated by a its name.

vanilla said...

Interesting creature.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Potato rum ~ love that! And you're right, I won't forget it/ And it is, by the way, a beautiful plant!

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay hmm potato rum is that vodka??? ha ha ok bye

RNSANE said...

Ummmm, potato rum...I think some vodka is made from potatoes but not rum. This is a nice succulent. I've never seen one like it.