Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, February 20, 2015

No More Cold Hands

 
This isn't a product review blog, and I'm not trying to turn it into one, but I have to tell you about a new item that actually exceeded expectations. That happens so seldom anymore, and the results are so positive, I'm making it my quality item of the day.

I bought this huge snowblower in 1992. It was an easy decision what to wear while using it... the trusty Carhartts, with a hooded sweatshirt underneath. I've never really been cold. Not at my core. I'm not crazy about snow blowing into my face and down my neck, but sometimes it's just part of the job.

On the other hand (haha), I've never been able to keep my hands warm while doing this job. Part of that is related to the fact that I've always relegated the "almost worn out" pair of mittens to the assignment. This is because the snowblower is really tough on mittens. You have to hold down a metal lever on each handle to keep the impeller and drive chain engaged. The edges of those aren't really sharp, but over time they just tear up the palms. That leads to air conditioning that is not pleasant.

This year, the snowblower mitts really couldn't even be mended again. So I went hunting, thinking I'd buy a cheap pair locally. Apparently no one even buys mittens any more. None of the box stores I have access to had any. I wasn't willing to downgrade my recreational mittens yet. They were expensive and are in really good condition.

Finally, I looked on line. Believe it or not, Carhartt makes mittens that don't cost an arm and a leg. I quickly ordered a pair.

Carhartt mittens

I'm impressed. They are really warm. My thumbs got a little chilly today with the temps below zero and a wind blowing, but not bad. They have a polyurethane palm that should take the abuse. The wrist straps locks out the snow, and the cuffs are a soft jersey. And... are you ready for this? They offer them in SMALL. Do you know how hard it is to find work quality gloves for small hands? Nearly impossible.

My only complaint to date is that they are difficult to get on if your hand is wet (like when you pull one off to fiddle with something and then try to put it back on).

So, today I will celebrate warm hands while running the snowblower (12 times this winter).

See A Hard Day in the Carhartts
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


5 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

You certainly need a good pair of mitts this year! I've worn my big moose hide mitts more than ever.

rainfield61 said...

Oh no, I barely need something likes this.

vanilla said...

Two thumbs up for Carhartt!

Ann said...

Carhartt does make a good product and they've been around for a long time.

Lin said...

Don't you love it when you find something that works for you?! Hooray for your new mittens!

Happy (?) snow-blowing!