Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, June 29, 2015

Green Garb with a Redbelt

 
Just a few pictures I took walking the trail around the West Shore Community College pond. We have made it to full summer, and the color of note is green. For sure.

green foliage around a pond

Even if you make it dramatic, it's still green.

green foliage around a pond

How about a red belt to go with that? Redbelt polypore (I'm pretty sure, although I'm open to correction on this), Fomitopsis pinacola. It's a little thinner than I would expect, and it must be young since the color is all redish. Older ones are thick, like a hoof, and are brown with just a red belt at the edge before the white strip.

redbelt polypore

But the underside is easily identified as a polypore... no gills, just a more or less smooth surface covered with tiny pores.

redbelt polypore

Maybe if it works hard it can be a black belt.

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

1 comment:

Ann Thompson said...

I was driving down the road today and admiring all the green around me. I so love this time of year.