Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, August 10, 2015

Big Mayfly

 
Saw this handsome mayfly last week. It may be in the Genus Maccaffertium. Or not. I'm no insect expert. But I do know that mayflies don't all hatch in May.

mayfly

They are also the only insect that moults one more time after it first gets wings. The adults appear and die quickly.

mayfly

Want to see it closer? OK

mayfly

Probably an angler will know which one this is. I know almost nothing about fishing.


if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

2 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

A mayfly like that should be what you need to net that trout.

Ann Thompson said...

I've never seen one of these before. Very interesting looking bug