Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, November 13, 2017

Editing and Tooting

 
Ha, ha! Made you look just to see what I meant, right?

Just about all I've done for the past two days is edit Dead Mule Swamp Druggist. I took a short walk each day to keep my joints from turning to concrete, but I'm on serious wordcraft overload.

The MS will go to my Beta Readers tomorrow, and I've got it almost ready.

computer with papers

The tooting? No, my digestion is fine; thanks for asking!

I quote the late Gospel singer London Parris, who always said, "He who tooteth not his own horn, it shall not be tooted." I know, I know, this isn't exactly the way one shows humility, but once in a while one needs to say a positive thing or two in self-promotion if an indie author.

And, I present the source of the tooting with great humility. My West Side Gang writer's group has heard most of the chapters of all the Dead Mule Swamp books. They provide constant encouragement and some great critique. It's a great company to be a part of.

Today, I've been going through all the notes they have made on this story over the past months and incorporating changes, fixing typos, etc, etc. Of course, as author, I don't have to use every change they suggest, but quite often they catch things that seriously need changing. Sometimes the way someone else reads a phrase will impart a different meaning than I had in mind, so I'll need to fix those to be less ambiguous. And on and on...

Here are some of their comments:

"This is a fun story- I really want to know what is going to happen."

"The first person point of view is smoothly done without a lot of 'I's."

"I like that funny Adele," and "Great dialogue. That Adele is still a character."

"Pulls me right in."

However, this is my favorite set. These are all from the same person:
on Chapter 8- "I like this and am really curious as to where it is heading."
on Chapter 33- "like the story but am pretty sure I know where it is going.
on Chapter 44-"I like where it's heading but I really have no clue as to where that is."

Music to a mystery writer's ears! Keep 'em guessing.

If you plan to get the eBook, you can pre-order at Amazon, B&N, Kobo or iBooks for delivery on December 26.

If you have signed up for the email newsletter, you will receive Chapter 2 for free next week (see link in header). Chapter 1 can be read at Shark Bytes and Tales.

Now, I need to get back to the task- I'm SO close!


if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


3 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

You have been working really hard!

Ann said...

Doing good, won't be long before you're totally finished. I did have to chuckle when I read your title and wondered what the tooting was all about

Secondary Roads said...

Placed my pre-order today.

Let the tooting continue.